Gina Angela Mason

Gina Angela Mason
My Soulmate

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Not what We Hoped For...

WED JAN 21st, 2009

Gina had her scans on this past Monday of the chest, abdomen, pelvis, and the brain. After meeting with Dr Sipahi this morning, she was told some bad news - the tumors have grown.
  • The brain now seems to have two tumors - the original one in center of brain is swollen and believed to be causing all of her vision problems, headaches, and slurred speech. This is the same tumor that she had the Gamma-Knife surgery on and controls the areas of brain that perform breathing, seeing, hearing, fine motor skills, etcetera. There is also another smaller tumor in the back of the brain that they are going to do Gamma-Knife surgery on. The original tumor is going to have radiation done, probably starting on Friday. They may have to do five or six weeks, daily, of radiation.
  • The lung scans showed two tumors in right lung that seem to be causing Gina to have shortness of breath - probably because it is putting pressure on the heart and taking up space in her lung that does not allow her to take a full breath of air. The left lung has a swollen lymph node (area that filters air). The plan is to start radiation to lungs as well.
  • The liver and kidney tumors did not appear to have grown any nor changed from last scans. THANK GOD.
  • Dr Sipahi only gave Gina Herceptin today since the Navelbine (new chemo) does not appear to be working well. Since she is starting the radiation, Gina will not be able to have chemotherapy at the same time. This is why they are doing radiation to the lungs also.

Gina also saw Dr. Schwartz who is the radiologist that worked with Dr. Jimenenz when Gina had Gamma-Knife to brain last time.

  • Both doctors (Schwartz & Sipahi) decided to put Gina back on the steroid, Dexamethasone, to bring down the swelling of the brain.
  • Gina will be marked tomorrow morning by Dr Schwartz here in town to prepare for radiation to swollen tumor area in the brain.
  • The brain is the MOST IMPORTANT area to get back under control so is priority #1 right now.

We are still going to see Dr .Olopade (primary Oncologist) on Feb 2nd, 2009 and Dr Nicholas (Neuro-Oncologist) this coming Wednesday. We will keep you posted so PLEASE pray for us!

6 comments:

Deanna and Eddie said...

gina` i am so sorry that you did not get the news you were hoping for. Never give up, you are a strong beautiful, and faithful woman. i believe that you will get thru this, and i will continue to pray, now a little harder :) if you need any help getting Riley home after practice or with anything please let me know! always BELIEVE!! he is incredible to those who do
love ya
deanna

Anonymous said...

Bob & Gina
So sorry to hear the news. If you need anything please do not hesitate to call. I will keep you all in my prayers.

God Bless
Julie Tambling

Lori said...

Gina and family,

Please know we will continue to keep you all in our prayers. There are several songs that have really meant a lot to me lately, helped me through some tough days, that I think you might find some inspiration in. You can google them and get to sites that have the words and links to hear the songs. They are, "I will Rise" by Chris Tomlin and "Never Let Go" by Matt Redmond. Music really inspires and helps me at times, I am hoping maybe it does for you too.

Love you.

Lori S.

gina said...

Deanna & Eddie,

I do believe, things will be ok hearing the news is most of the battle, now that a "game plan" is in effect I can take a pro-active approach to my cure!

Julie,

Thank you for the prayers, and kinds words - support of my friends and family is the most amazing thing to me - add the great man upstairs and I assure anyone I have the best team backing my journey!

Lori,

One of the radiation techs has a CD that she played for me while I was having radiation last time, (to the leg) very inspiritational, I loved it...She has made me a CD and I listen to it in the car all the time. When I have "Gamma knife" again (Feburary 12) They put music on for me to listen too, its a long process, and it keeps me calm laying there so still, last time Bob made me a CD with favorite songs the kids and him love, this time I would like to bring the new CD (from the radiation tech)...They both are precious to me. I will look up the songs you also suggested, maybe I'll make a CD with a variety from everything - Bob said we'll call it Gina's Gamma Jams! How cute - I think that will be perfect - thank you for giving me the idea!! Ohh I'm so excited to get started on this...

Smile everyone - I'm on the road to kicking this evil cancer out of my system!

Love, hungs, and prayers!!

Gina

Anonymous said...

Gina - Just wanted you to know that my family prays for you and yours. Your positive attitude, the love of your family, and the support of your friends will help you get through this. Love, Jody Andriano

Anonymous said...

GINA JAY AND I CONTINUE TO PRAYER FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY, IF YOU EVER NEED ANYTHING CALL ME OK.

JAY AND TAMMY
SPIVEY